Friday, May 6, 2011

Beginning ideas for a 4 yr old learning to art journal for the first time...

Some time ago I took pics of basic steps of art journaling to give to a 4 yr who has never seen or experience the joys of art journaling.  I used items that I thought a 4 yr old would have access to, watercolor paint box, white glue or mod podge, crayons, markers,  masking tape, ribbon and stickers.  I also had to word the instructions so that they would understand.  It was harder than I thought it would be.  Does a 4 yr old know what vertical and horizontal are?  A 4 yr old can't read which meant the mother/grandmother, etc, who does not know what art journaling is either had to read and explain all this to the child.   I'd like to know what your thoughts are and try it yourself.

Tear off  8 strips of masking tape and  place  them up and down and then across on the page.  Using your paint box color each square.  Let dry then peel off the tape off carefully because you're going to reuse it.


Reusing the same strips, if they're still in good condition, put the pieces of tape on each side of the white strips left by the previous tape, taping up and down first.  Paint the white strips black.  Just the white strips not the color squares.  Let dry.

 Peel the tape and put them across on each side of the white strips, paint black.  Let dry, take the tape off and throw it away.



It should look like this.  I'ts ok if the paint leaked under the tape....it will make the page look better.


Take a red crayon and draw lines next to the black strips inside the color squares.  It should look like this.


Cut out pictures in magazines of one of your favorite things you like....it could be of a toy or an animal.  I like cats so that is what I cut out.  I tore the access paper away but you can cut it away if you want to.  Choose your favorite stickers, I like Winnie the Pooh so those are the stickers I used.


 On one side of the page I put my pictures of kittens and on the other side I put Winnie the Pooh stickers and moved them around until I liked where they were, then glued them down with Mod Podge or glue.  I wrote I LIKE KITTIES by the kitty pics and I LIKE WINNIE THE POOH by the stickers.  Mom can help you write this if you need her to.




I glued down ribbon where I thought it would look good and added sticker hearts.  You dont have to do this if you don't want to.  It's just to give you ideas.



This is what my page looked like when I was done.   Have fun!


just janie

No comments:

Post a Comment